Book an appointment:
Physiotherapist Kaisa Pernu
(Specialised in maternity and pelvic floor physiotherapy)
Tel. +358 (0)20 742 4400
Book an appointment online
Maternity physiotherapy is comprehensive physiotherapy aiming to improve the health and well-being of women both during and after pregnancy. It is both preventive and rehabilitative. The physiotherapy uses a diverse range of therapeutic exercise, manual handling, when necessary, and guidance for everyday life.
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK OUT MATERNITY PHYSIOTHERAPY?
You can go to maternity physiotherapy both during and after your pregnancy, even if it has been several years since you gave birth.
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF MATERNAL PHYSIOTHERAPY?
- Introducing the exercise forms available during pregnancy
- Preventing and relieving pregnancy-related pains, such as symphysis pain and back symptoms
- Providing expecting mothers with methods for preparing for labour
- Rehabilitating diastasis recti and the pelvic floor after giving birth
Note that diastasis recti does not only affect persons who have recently given birth: things such as abdominal obesity and excessive training without suitable support on the abdomen also make people susceptible to this problem.
GOALS OF REHABILITATIVE PHYSIOTHERAPY
To get results, you need to commit to independent exercise. However, we always customise the necessary home exercises according to your situation and energy level. After giving birth, your body spontaneously recovers for 2 or 3 months. However, you can start rehabilitative physiotherapy any time after giving birth, and it is helpful even if it has been several years since you gave birth.
HOW CAN I ENTER REHABILITATION?
You can book an appointment for maternity physiotherapy independently, or request a referral to physiotherapy from your doctor, in which case you may also receive Kela compensation for the therapy.
CONTENT AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SERVICE
- Maternal physiotherapy is provided by a specialist physiotherapist
- The content of the therapy episode is planned together with the customer after a physiotherapeutic examination
- Therapeutic exercises at the practice
- Manual handling and use of kinesiology tape, when necessary
- Guidance, counselling and home exercises
- Electrotherapy and biofeedback exercises
- Treatment of section scars (scar tissue is connected to the pain in the lower back and the pelvis, among other body parts)
- Everyday ergonomics during and after pregnancy
- Massage during pregnancy prepares you for childbirth
“I am specialised in neurological physiotherapy, and I also have training in maternal and pelvic floor physiotherapy, as well as physical exercise during pregnancy. I am also a qualified provider of prenatal and postnatal massage services. I have worked with rehabilitation patients of different ages, and I am particularly experienced with neurological rehabilitation patients and prenatal and postnatal patients. You’re always welcome to visit my practice!” (Physiotherapist Kaisa Pernu)